People love to relax at the spa! You can go and have a facial, a massage and in some cases even a haircut. A trip to the spa helps to melt away stress and helps our overall well-being. Taking your pet to the local pet groomer, or having your favorite mobile pet groomer come to you has the same great effect on your pet. Choosing a groomer takes the same careful selection as choosing your own massage therapist or stylist. We have spoken to Roma, owner and groomer of aRomatherapy Mobile Pet Grooming, and asked her about her thoughts on choosing a groomer.
The following are a few aspects of the pet grooming business to consider when choosing the best option for your pet.
1. Gather a few recommendations from other pet owners with similar breeds, or from your veterinarian or from your local animal rescue. After acquiring this trusted information you can call or visit the groomers and ask questions about their practice. You can also review businesses on websites such as Yelp! and Google which are valuable gems for information on local businesses. You can read about other pet owners and their dog grooming or cat grooming experiences and decide which business sounds the best to you and then give them a call!
2. How long has the grooming business been in practice? How experienced are the pet groomers? Roma has been professionally grooming dogs for 11 years and opened her own business, aRomatherapy Mobile Pet Grooming in 2009.
3. Are the grooming facilities clean? Mobile pet grooming businesses, such as aRomatherapy Mobile Pet Grooming should have clean and well equipped trucks or grooming vans, and they will come to your home, work or hotel. For busy people who want the best for their animals, a mobile groomer is a great solution! A dirty grooming van with unclean baths can cause many animal skin problems like flees from previous dogs, skin infection or fungi. The pet owner should ask to see the van and ask about the dog grooming companies cleaning routine. “aRomatherapy Mobile Pet Grooming offers a pre-visit service so the client and his doggie can meet us and see the mobile grooming van before their first grooming visit,” Roma says. She cleans her grooming van consistently over the course of the day. She always uses fresh and clean towels and she never uses bleach to prevent any skin irritations on her furry clients.
4. Does the pet groomer work to establish a relationship with your dog or cat? “Grooming is an important part of dog’s life and I believe that it should be an enjoyable time for him or her. Some dogs are naturally nervous, and unfortunately some of them have had a bad grooming experience. I believe over time and with the right pet groomer, a dog can learn to love being groomed and start to trust people in general,” Roma explains. The pet owner should read his dog’s body language when the groomer comes for their grooming appointment. If the dog is happy to see the groomer, you know that he was treated with the love and respect that he deserves. Roma is proud to say that 95% of her dogs love to take a bath in her grooming van. The small percentage that does not, she has worked with and has changed their mind over a few visits about how wonderful a warm bath can be! All of the furry clients at aRomatherapy Mobile Pet Grooming are excited to hear the grooming van approach and they are happy to see Roma when she begins the grooming appointment!
5. If you just got a new puppy and it is time to find a groomer, it is particularly important to find the right one. Imagine how long a person searches for the right pediatrician for their baby! As a pet owner, you want to make sure that your puppy has a great first grooming visit to ensure his or her love for all future visits. While looking for the perfect professional dog groomer, ask how the pet groomer will introduce the grooming process to the puppy. “The first time for a puppy is critical, and he or she will remember it forever.” Roma chooses to give a limited grooming service for a puppy, and she watches throughout the grooming procedures to make sure that the puppy is comfortable. If she thinks the puppy is nervous, she will adjust the grooming service to make sure that the puppy doesn’t become scared. By watching your pet, Roma can make sure that each time she comes to groom your puppy, he or she will become more comfortable with the grooming process until the dog is 100% happy to be inside the grooming van! Eventually, all puppies become older dogs, and changes come with age. Many older dogs have hip and joint problems or are ill. The pet owner should ask to check on his pet while he or she is being groomed to make sure the dog isn’t stressed. Roma grooms older dogs with the same special love and care as a puppy. She will often groom pets in their senior years while they are seated or lying down to ensure their comfort. Whatever the age of your dog, the groomer should take care to ensure that your pet is having the best grooming experience possible. Not all dogs are the same, and they should all be groomed in the best way to fit their health and personality.
6. What types of shampoo and products are used during the grooming process? There are many benefits to using natural pet products for dog grooming and dog washing. aRomatherapy Mobile Pet Grooming uses only the highest quality grooming products for your pet. By utilizing aromatherapy and therapeutic oils during their grooming services, Roma can help relax and sooth your pet. They use eco-friendly and cruelty free products because they care not only for the well-being of your pet, but also for the well-being of all animals and the planet.
7. Does the pet groomer offer health alerts? Although this isn't a requirement, over time your groomer will become accustomed to your dog’s body and will recognize changes such as tooth and gum problems, ear or skin infections or tumors. Sometimes those early detections can make a huge difference in the health and well-being of your pet.
8. Is the groomer involved in any other aspects of the animal community? Some pet groomers have a sincere love for animals, which makes the best groomers stand out from the rest. Roma is actively involved in pet rescues and fostering animals. She has a huge heart and animals have a special place in it. Does the groomer have any pets of their own? Great professional groomers with pets can be trusted to take care of yours. At aRomatherapy Mobile Pet Grooming , their motto is “we treat your pet as we do our own.” Roma has two well-loved dogs. Banana is the older and wiser family member, and Fistook is the newest member. Roma was fostering Fistook and training him for a new home, but he found his home with Roma and Avi and he has been well cared for and loved by them ever since! You can see photos of both dogs on the aRomatherapy Mobile Pet Grooming Facebook Page.
When choosing your pet groomer, make the best choice for your pet. Your pet loves you and trusts you to always do what is best for him or her. A trip to the pet groomer should be fun and relaxing for your pet. With the right groomer, like Roma, it will be a great experience for your pet.
aRomatherapy Mobile Pet Grooming can be your new mobile dog grooming salon! They proudly offer their remarkable mobile pet grooming services to Beverly Hills, Brentwood, Bel Air, Santa Monica, Pacific Palisades, Malibu, Studio City, Sherman Oaks, Encino, Topanga Canyon & West Hollywood! Please call Roma at 310.991.7226 to make an appointment or for more information on what they offer.